Tuesday 7 April 2009

First check

I had not checked through the hive when I first got it, and so when the sun was shinning today I got prepared and looked through.
First I noticed the feeder empty, 1KG sugar plus 1KG water in two days.
I moved from the back where there were less bees towards the front.
the first half of the colony was space and open and capped stores with more stores on the frames as a got to the middle.
The next four frames had what I think was sealed brood surrounded by stores, the sealed brood had darker capping, I did see a few white lava but did not notice a lot.
I had noticed as I moved along the frames that they were not evenly spaced and the last frame was tight against the hive, when I pulled it out it was all black, hard and horrible on that trapped side, the good side was mainly pollen.
For better or worse I decided to remove, and replace with foundation. After I finished I looked at the frame that I had taken out, I think it is old uncapped stores, I wonder how long it has to be in the hive to go like that?
For my first time I thought all went well, next time I must be more observant for eggs and lava, will put more syrup on tomorrow. The bees seemed fairly calm considering! Surprised again today, could see no Varroa on the board.
Things to do:-
Feed
Monitor varroa
Check for eggs & queen
Get some wood shavings
Buy more sugar
find out about removed pollen frames

No comments:

Post a Comment