Sunday 5 April 2009











The hive I bought had a solid floor and crown board and for travelling I had lifted the crown slightly with a thin twigs before securing.
At home around 5pm, I opened the entrance and took the twigs out (because there was a lot of buzzing coming from the hive and I hoped they would not overheat).
The night temp was close to a frost so at 9am there were no signs of the bees, but 11am saw a lot flying.
I didn't want to disturb them too much after their ordeal but I did want to put them on to a screen floor and feed them.
I had made some syrup the night before (1kg sugar, 1kg water, 1teaspoon lemon juice, 20 min boil).
12am I suited up and moved them onto the new base, weighed the colony, tipped the feeder upside down, placed on crown, covered with my new brood box (new supers are not deep enough) then placed the roof back on.
There was a lot of action from the bees but within an hour there were lots of bees arriving back with pollen on their legsThe colony weighed 21.8KG, this seems like I have had a good deal and it seems like a stong colony but my next concern will be , when will I have to add a super?

No comments:

Post a Comment